SEEKING THE NATION’S BEST MUSICAL THEATRE STUDENTS
TRAIN FOR TOMORROW WITH THE BROADWAY STARS OF TODAY !
JULY 2 – 21, 2020
Your musical theatre career starts now! Join America’s top young performers in a professional theatre training experience like no other. Share The Muny stage with Broadway and TV’s biggest stars. Get ready for a life changing experience. Challenge yourself with college level classes at the Conservatory of Theatre Arts at Webster University. Set your musical theatre career on the right path.
Set your musical theatre career on the right path!
Footloose (July 7 -24)
2020 Application ClosedApplication is now closed for the 2020 season. Check back later this fall for details on how to apply for 2021 season.
About the Intensive
The Muny, America’s premiere summer musical theater, and Webster University’s Conservatory of Theatre Arts have joined forces to host a summer intensive for emerging young artists. This three-week program in St. Louis, Missouri invites 12 rising junior and senior high school students from across the nation to participate in an immersive theatrical experience like no other!
The first portion of the Intensive introduces you to the professional life of a performer. Students work under the direction and choreography of Tony Award nominee Marcia Milgrom Dodge (Ragtime). While rehearsing alongside the Equity cast students prepare to perform in the Muny’s production of Smokey Joes Cafe for audiences of 10,000 a night. In intimate master classes, students also enjoy unlimited access to some of Broadway and television’s brightest creative talents. Masterclass teachers to date have included two-time Tony Award Winner Christian Borle (Something Rotten!; Peter and the Starcatcher, Falsettos, NBC’s Smash), Ashley Brown (Mary Poppins), Tony Award nominee Nancy Opel (Urinetown, Honeymoon In Vegas), Bryan Batt (MTV’s Scream, Mad Men), Josh Rhodes (Bright Star), Grammy nominee Alexandra Silber (West Side Story, Fiddler on the Roof) to name a few.
During the second half of the Intensive, students receive pre-collegiate training from the professors at Webster University. Classes include song study, acting, musical theatre dance, improv and audition technique. Students also have the opportunity to earn up to two college credits.
- 12 junior and senior high school students will be accepted. This means you are entering your junior/senior year in fall 2020.
- This program is open only to non-residents of St. Louis and the greater St. Louis area.
- All students will rehearse and perform onstage in a Muny production, playing to audiences of 10,000 a night.
- Students take master classes from Broadway actors, directors, choreographers and artists currently in residence at The Muny.
- Classes at Webster will focus on voice, dance, acting, improv and audition technique.
- The total cost for each participant is $5,800 and includes housing, meals, and transportation between The Muny and Webster. There is also a photo shoot for a new headshot.
- You are responsible for your transportation to St. Louis.
- Housing for this 20 days / 19 nights program will be on the Webster campus in the East Hall Residence dormitory.
- All food is included – 3 meals a day, plus 1 snack.
- College credit available for an additional cost of $250 per credit with a 2 credit maximum.
Remember, you get as much out of this Intensive as you are willing to put in! You are the final ingredient – art cannot happen without you!
We are seeking bright, talented young performers with a hunger to grow and learn from every experience. You must possess a strong voice, solid dance technique, and the ability to connect with an audience to tell the story.
To apply please submit an online application, headshot and resume as well as 3 videos through Acceptd.
- Video #1 : Your best musical theater song – (can be either a 16 or 32 bar cut of a song).
- Video #2 : A contemporary monologue of your choosing. Should be no longer than 1.5 minutes.
- Video #3 : A 1 minute dance video – see the instructions here.
We are now accepting applications for this one of a kind immersive theatrical experience.