ST. LOUIS (July 22, 2020) – The lineup for the second episode of The Muny 2020 Summer Variety Hour Live! has been announced. This free, live-streamed program will air on Monday, July 27, at 8:15 p.m. CDT via youtube.com/themunytv. The second episode of The Muny 2020 Summer Variety Hour Live! is proudly sponsored by Edward Jones.
An estimated 25,000 people watched the July 20 premiere, with viewers from nearly every state in the U.S. and from around the world.
The second episode will include:
- Scenes from The Muny’s vault productions of Elton John and Tim Rice’s Aida, 42nd Street, Spamalot and Oklahoma!
- Muny artists and real-life couple Maggie Lakis and Rob McClure perform “Suddenly Seymour” from Little Shop of Horrors
- A live vocal performance from Broadway and The Muny’s Taylor Louderman, singing “Astonishing” from Little Women
- Members of The Muny’s 2017 cast of Disney’s The Little Mermaid reunite to sing the joyous “Under the Sea”
- Muny veteran and St. Louis native Chloe O. Davis performs “My Tribute to Black Broadway and Black Choreographers: I Thrive Now Because You Dared Then.” Conceived and choreographed by Chloe O. Davis, the tribute features choreography by Katherine Dunham, George Faison, Debbie Allen, Hope Clarke, Gregory Hines, Donald Byrd, Bill T. Jones and Camille A. Brown
- “There’s Gotta Be Something Better Than This,” a modern take on the Sweet Charity classic, created and performed by Muny alumni Maya Bowles, Trevor Michael Schmidt and Gabi Stapula
- A mashup performance by the Muny Teens singing “Bring on the Monsters/Drive It Like You Stole It” from The Lightning Thief: The Percy Jackson Musical and Sing Street, respectively
- Broadway, West End and Muny star Nkeki Obi-Melekwe performs “If You Knew My Story” from Bright Star
- Behind-the-scenes stories about what’s happening at The Muny
- Munywood Squares – a hilarious, Muny-themed gameshow hosted by Gordon Greenberg featuring nine hilarious Muny stars, including E. Faye Butler, J. Harrison Ghee, Ann Harada, Raymond J. Lee, Vicki Lewis, Steve Rosen, Jeffrey Schecter, John Scherer and Christopher Sieber
And much, much more
“The response to our premiere has been overwhelming,” said Muny Artistic Director and Executive Producer, Mike Isaacson. “Having everyone share in these delicious Muny memories, and seeing members of our Muny family together in this way, has filled a lot of hearts.”
“We are extremely grateful to our Muny fans that joined us Monday for the well-received premiere of our new series,” said Muny President and CEO, Denny Reagan. “After kicking things off with an incredible cast, this next group of talented artists are just as thrilling. I’m grateful they have agreed to create some Muny magic with us.”
After the live-stream, each program will be repeated only once on the following Thursday at 8:15 p.m. CDT, which will also be captioned and audio described.
World Wide Technology (WWT) became the first overall season sponsor in the history of The Muny in 2014. They are committed to continuing in this role with their leadership gift as The Muny’s 2020 Online Season Presenting Sponsor.
To stay connected virtually and to receive the latest updates, please follow The Muny on their social media channels, including Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.